7.01.2010

Capital Q

Last post of the day, I promise. Well, okay, I don't promise, but I'll cross my fingers on your behalf.

I sometimes get a little annoyed at the LGB community for forgetting the T's and us Q's. Q's--generally accepted as "Queer," sometimes stated as "Questioning"--don't really fit in the fairly binary boxes of L, G, or B. Likewise with T's, but as an outsider, I don't feel qualified to speak on their behalf today.

Anyway, that's really just a side rant.

In Queer news, I wanted to share a couple of links here.

First, a post from Offbeat Bride on the crossroads between heteronormative expectations and Queer identity in the wedding planning process. As a Queer female who married a Queer male, and who was pronounced married by Luke Skywalker in front of an abandoned building while dressed as Mr. and Ms. Pac Man, I totally get this. My partner and I wanted to break from the normative politics of a traditional wedding. Mostly, though, we wanted to have fun.

Still, we were pressured into paying for catering rather than having a pot luck or going Dutch, guilted into sending paper invites by expectations of some attendees, and instructed to have a gift registry (we hadn't wanted gifts, but figured we could have the option of charitable donations). Moreover, as the wedding got closer, the stress of planning a "real" wedding started to hit. This wedding was supposed to be fun, like having a party; why had that changed?

Anyway, it's worth a read, and made me think a lot about Queer identity and the way it can be hard to reconcile with the institution of marriage. Which we already knew, but despite our feelings on marriage--and especially on the lack of marriage rights for all--US immigration laws wouldn't acknowledge our partnership without a certificate. So, anyway, we figured we'd make a big old Queer spectacle of it and try to preserve our own values while still honoring the commitment asked of us.

Bit I digress...

The second link is just a pretty awesome link someone shared with me about an international Queer film festival in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. I really appreciate the way foreign films tend to deal with LGBTQ issues more intricately, and with less stereotyping, and I'm excited to see how many of these films I can find on Netflix and online.

2 comments:

Ian Pointer said...

We'll make sure that the Mario/Princess follow-up is stress free :P

It did turn out a lot more stressful than we realised, but I think a big part of that was down how little time we had to get things done together when I got over there! (plus a lot of the organising that we'd already done falling apart through no fault of our own!)

Still, I think its success can be measured by my great-uncle's initial uneasiness about the whole thing, to saying at the end of the day that it was one of the happiest weddings he'd ever been to!

- SLN - said...

That's great! Uncle Joe ftw!

Also, very true. I didn't think we'd have things unravel quite so thoroughly. My classmate had warned me that I'd need some stress relief, but I kind of looked at her cockeyed initially. Oh, was she right.