1.28.2010

judicial neutrality (or, how I learned to stop faking it and openly accuse the president of lying)

Well, for all the awful things that one can say about the state of judicial neutrality these days (especially among the SCOTUS), at least one of the completely neutral, wholly impartial, non-activist judges just up and outed himself. And, of course, was lionized by GOP pundits and lambasted by Dems.

I'm not sure which I find more disturbing: the downward spiral of the judicial branch over the past couple of decades, or the fact that Fox News is the most trusted news source in the US (link via the always amazing Ian). I suppose there's some comfort in the following:
Continuing the trend in our polling over the last few months that independents hate everything, a plurality of them distrust all five outlets we looked at.

I suppose it makes sense that people trust a news source that agrees with them more than a one which falsely purports neutrality (though there is that issue of "fair and balanced"), but it still gives me the shivers.

Maybe if we can get Prop 8 overturned I'll keep the faith.*




*(I'm not holding my breath.)

[UPDATE: Mere moments after posting this, I received this relatively auspicious link on DADT from Amazing Ian. Maybe there's hope for Prop 8 as well?]

No comments: