1.26.2010

on screwing things up

MAKE Magazine's blog pointed me to the somewhat amazing Journal of Serendipitous and Unexpected Results.

I'm particularly fond of this idea because, along with danger (see my previous post and the Gever Tulley TED talk), we tend to discourage our younger generation from creative screw-ups in favor of encouraging flawless mediocrity.

My friend TJ and I were discussing just today this snippet from the Duke University "What we look for" page:
We like students who make intelligent and interesting mistakes, students who understand that only in risking failure do we become stronger, better, and smarter.

Assuming this is actually what they're looking for, I'm strongly in favor of this attitude. I wonder, however, whether this attitude is sincere or an appeal for students who may not have had four-ohs or better to apply, since private school applications have been trending downward. (cha-ching!)

No comments: