1.25.2010

say it ain't so!

R.I.P., Green Leaf.

While not the absolute best Indian (or even South Indian) food in the Triangle--that spot is reserved for Udupi over in Stepford Cary--Green Leaf brought consistently decent South Indian fare much closer to home. 20 minutes closer, for me. Not to mention, it was hands-down the most interesting restaurant name in Durham. Its full name? The Almighty Wisdom of the Green Leaf God.

One of the things that always disturbed me (well, obviously it made me happy, too) was that I never once set foot in that restaurant without them giving me at least one appetizer, side, or dessert for free. It's often a bad sign when companies start offering things on deep discount or total discount, but when that happens consistently? It was bad portents from the get-go. The most ominous of it all was that they'd thank us every time we'd bring a new person in (and we didn't do that more than monthly at best).

I'll definitely mourn this loss. At the very least, who will take its place as strangest restaurant name?

No comments: